Essaouira, once called Mogador, is an old fort and fishing port located two and a half hours outside Marrakesh . As you wonder around the narrow, white-wall maze of the Medina you’ll discover Moroccan treasures, works of art, friendly locals, French pastries and fresh sea food brought moments before.
Essaouira has several points of interest:
- the fishing port where fishermen have their catch displayed for sale
- the citadel of Skala Kasbah
- the Portuguese castle Castelo Real, which dates back to 1506.
- harbor stalls or at a local café terraces
- a crescent beach that is popular for surfing, windsurfing and kitesurfing
This trip is the most appreciated day trip for tourist. Many even return to the peaceful town for a longer stay.